The Company seeks an accurate, efficient Controller in our downtown Seattle office. The Company provides tax, accounting and administrative support to a group of private clients and their related entities.
We offer competitive compensation and a generous benefits package, including: full medical/dental/vision; generous life and disability insurance; 401(k) with generous employer matches; public transportation reimbursement; and fitness program
This position reports to the President, and specific responsibilities will include:
* Prepare work papers for investment partnerships to send to outside accounting firm who prepares annual or semi-annual capital statements.
* Prepare pro-forma projection of investment LLC ownership, cash flow, etc.
* Establish and maintain ownership records for investment LLCs; prepare related reports as needed
* Prepare spreadsheets and transmittal documents for investment LLC member distributions and take steps to ensure timely and accurate distributions of funds
* Reconcile investment LLC financial statements to information prepared by the investment advisor
* Prepare portions of meeting materials for investment LLC investment committee meeting
* Prepare subscriptions agreements and member capital call requests using Word mail merge function and Excel macro and formula functions utilizing database maintained by client handler
* Communicate with clients, investors, attorney, investment advising team, outside CPA firm, small business employees, etc. as needed
* Be in charge or be a member of a team that is setting up a new entity, internally or externally
* Familiarity with LLC and trust documents with an ability to critically analyze, interpret and suggest improvements.
* Maintain financial records for investment LLCs and the office using QuickBooks
* Manage cash flow for the investment LLCs and the office
* Reconcile third party records with internal accounting and non-accounting records
* Serve as backup to accounting clerk for functions/tasks related to investment LLCs for duties such as processing request for capital calls, downloading and saving documents sent by investment managers to the predetermined network location, compile and email to LLC managers all relevant correspondence received from investment managers for the prior week, etc.
* Prepare tax work papers for the office and the small entities as required by the tax preparer.
* Review/audit accounting records for small business entities, usually QuickBooks, during the year and prior to year-end closing to ensure proper records available for management and tax return preparation. This entails interacting with accountants hired by clients for small businesses
* Work with outside professionals (e.g. legal and accounting) as necessary
* Working knowledge for maintaining accounting records for S corps and partnerships
* Update and maintain Excel spreadsheet for basis of pass through entities owned by clients
* Import tax data into tax return software
* Assemble information to support tax work papers for individual clients and populate tax work papers with the same information.
* Organize and maintain records of all electronic and hard copy correspondence for all underlying managers for investment LLCs
* Oversee client billing process for the office and maintain billing system and related QuickBooks accounts. Prepare related reports and analysis as needed. Take steps to ensure timely payment by clients
* Compile office budget and monitor variance and cash flow impact throughout the year; prepare presentation package for management committee and LLC members
* Audit invoices and process accounts payable
* Prepare state and local sales, personal property and B&O tax filings
* Manage office’s client payroll tax and vendor Form 1099 filings
* Prepare portions of tax work papers, including allocation of income for investment partnerships to send to outside accounting firm who prepares and signs the tax return
* Analyze data and compile and create reports as needed using Excel spreadsheet
* Reconcile bank accounts for various entities as part of segregation of duties
* Provide assistance for trust accounting as needed
* Serve as one of the team members who maintain the file network
* Be part of team to analyze and implement CRM and accounting software
The successful candidate will have:
* Bachelor degree plus 7 years of relevant experience
* Prior controller type experience or experience working in a CPA firm
* Prior experience working with individual, trusts, S corps and investment partnerships tax returns
* Above average mathematical, analytical and problem identification/solving ability
* Experience with spreadsheets and tax preparation and planning software; willing to learn new software as needed
* Ability to build models to analyze different scenarios
* Intermediate user of Word, Excel, Adobe, QuickBooks and QuickBooks Payroll; willing to immediately learn more advanced skills
* Prior experience with setting priorities, managing work to meet deadlines yet maintaining flexibility to take on emerging projects with short-fused deadlines
* Prior experience of organizing information received in the training process so subsequent access and use is efficient.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality
* Proven ability to give and take feedback from all members of the team
* Ability to identify and resolve existing and potential issues and recommend/discuss solutions
* Strong oral and written communications skills
* Ability to work with and communicate with individuals at all organization and sophistication levels
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Ability to produce high volume of detailed work while maintaining a high level of accuracy
* Will "do whatever it takes" to accomplish tasks
* Ability to be flexible in a changing environment
* Ability to work well under pressure with frequent interruptions
* Ability to work overtime during peak workload periods
* The desire and ability to learn on the job and remain coachable, including learning new software by reading written instructions and following instructions from many team members. Must have the ability to ask questions to clarify understanding and identify when more instructions is needed
* Experience with handling confidential information
* Follow instructions from many team members; ask questions to clarify understanding of instructions; identify when the work is beyond the scope of the instruction
* Able to manage multiple simultaneous projects from multiple clients
The Company is an equal opportunity employer.